Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Oh Poo

According to the back of my bag of Dr. Earth's organic fertilizer, when making fertilizer tea I am to steep the solids in water for 24 hours then mix the mulch with the soil after straining.  I followed none of these instructions, other than steep in water... for three days.

I should have known when a few drops escaped from the plastic containers onto my toes as I carried them down that I was essentially about to pour reconstituted horse poop or cow poop or some other kind of poop onto my little ones.  But like the horrible tasting calcium pellets my mother made me swallow to encourage the growth spurt that never happened, the poop water was for their own good.

Long, smelly and more or less unpleasant story shortened, I poured the brown fecal water around my kiddies then took the lazy way out by just spreading the shitty mulch around the base of some of the plants.  Immediately my little plot was swarmed with dung flies.  I looked to the plots to my left and right and they all were more less fly-less.  Not mixing the mulch was a bad idea.  But will the shit keep the squirrels away I wonder?  For that it might be worth it.  Then again, I don't know how much damage these flies might do.

On a positive note, I noticed two lovely bright yellow flowers popping out and saying hello from the more promising of my cukes.  I was worried about those two but seeing these flowers will soon mean delicate little crustless sandwiches with my tea.














2 comments:

  1. Our cukes are flowering too. In fact they're growing so fast that they've latched onto the nearby lemonbalm and basil plants, naughty cukes. Fortunately our spinach has already gone to seed, so I'm going to uproot them and give some more room for the cukes - and your perilla.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh! One idea is to gently tie the cuke stems around a chopstick or two to guide them along. One of my guys are acting a little wayward so I'm going to try it. Just planted your mint in its own winebox... pics to come! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete