Sunday, May 23, 2010

They're Here!

Whenever I get an idea to do something, it normally means I have to buy something to carry out this idea.  I was reading an urban gardening book I borrowed from the library, and it mentioned liquid fertilizer.  The section I was reading wasn't particularly about growing edible plants so I got concerned that the fertilizer they were recommending might not be safe for herbs and such.  Whenever I get product curiosity I normally head to Amazon.

Before I continue, a disclaimer.  Yes I put links up to certain products sold on Amazon.  No, I haven't sold out and am allowing evil to run rampant around my humble little blog with hardly readership by letting Amazon or any other commercial venture post remotely relevant ads indiscriminately.  The links are an easy way for me to show you what product I'm talking about.  They're usually items I have, or am thinking of buying, and if I do have them, it will likely be that I really did order the thing from Amazon.  So if I think something sucks, I'll say so, but I'll still put the link up because I want you to see what I'm talking about.  

I searched for organic fertilizer and came across this.  It's not liquid and I had no idea how it was supposed to be used before I bought it.  Turns out you're supposed to mix a cup and a half of the stuff with 10 cubic feet of soil.  Well, I don't even have 3 square feet of gardening space so I wasn't sure how to spread the stuff out at first.  Plus, it seems you have to do it before you plant.  Oh well.  I'm still going to try mixing the stuff with the organic soil I bought to try out a second wine box bed.  







"Did you say you bought organic soil?" you might ask.  Oh yes I did.  Just one bag of it, which might be exactly what I need to fill the other 6-bottle wine box.  I want to see if rich organic soil really will make a difference in growing herbs than the top soil my co-op laid down.  For now I tried mixing a little bit of the fertilizer with a little bit of the soil and made a big mess by my door.  I hope I don't clog my dustbuster.  

No comments:

Post a Comment